The LAM Team at Indiana University is pleased to release LAM 6.5.9. The 6.5 series adds significant features that
benefit MPI developers as well as end users. The new release includes
the new features summarized below. Many of the new features are the
result of discussions, meetings, and user suggestions from the general
LAM user's discussion mailing list. Keep the suggestions coming!
All users of LAM/MPI versions prior to 6.5.9 are strongly encouraged to upgrade
immediately. Versions of LAM/MPI prior to 6.5.9 are not supported.
Also note: LAM/MPI version 6.5.9 will not work with the current release of
XMPI. A beta of XMPI 2.2.3, which will work with
LAM/MPI version 6.5.9 is available on the
beta web page.
Obtaining LAM version 6.5.9
The LAM/MPI 6.5.9 distribution is available from the main LAM download site.
Release notes, installation instructions, and test suite instructions are available.
There are also extensive notes on tuning
the LAM/MPI library.
The LAM Team requests that all users who download LAM 6.5.9 also download and run the
LAM test suite to help us verify LAM in a wide variety of Unix
New Features of LAM 6.5
- Added man pages for all MPI-1 and MPI-2 functions.
- Added some primitive syslog messages to the lamd (when launched
lamboot -d ...") to help the troubleshooting
process when the lamd seems to be involved.
recon, and [deprecated]
wipe are noticably faster when the "
switch is used. "
-b" can be used with any shell
other than the Bourne and Korn shells (including bash).
- Made LAM aware of PBS and LSF -- can now have multiple LAM jobs
by the same user on a single node when running in PBS or LSF.
- New SMP-aware "
mpirun" command line syntax and boot
schema syntax for "
MPI_UNIVERSE_SIZE now reports total number of CPUs,
- Slightly changed the internal and install directory structures;
now fully using
for building LAM.
- Full support for
- Shared library support (only if not using ROMIO or the C++
- Added MPI_Info key to
MPI_COMM_SPAWN to specify a
schema file for MPMD spawns.
- Added "
lamhalt" command to quickly shut down LAM
- Added "
lamnodes" command to retrieve hostnames from
and 2 optional RPI calls to support them, mainly in anticipation
of Myrinet and VIA RPIs.
- Added "
-s" option to lamboot to allow "
somenode lamboot -s hostfile" to complete normally.
- Expanded many error messages to be more descriptive and generally
- Updated MPI 2 C++ bindings distribution.
- Updated and patched ROMIO distribution.
- Building the profiling layer is now the default.
- Supplemental Trillium executables and
.h files that
are not necessary for MPI operation are no longer built/installed
- Made the
lamtests package easier to port to other
implementations of MPI.
- Support for IMPI: the Interoperable Message Passing Interface
More information on LAM and IMPI can be found
- Oodles of bug fixes.